Originally Posted by Irena
Originally Posted by Nutmeg
Our local elementary school's 5th grade class has about 25-30% of its students in the gifted program....

I am wondering how do you know this? Is it listed somewhere on the internet or something? I'd be curious as to what our school's number is...

Sometimes it's as easy to figure out as asking your kid: "How many kids are in your class?"

Our state is a race to the top state, and as a result we now have more data published on each school and district, including the number of children identified as gifted and the number of children receiving gifted services. The state defines gifted as 95th percentile in reading OR math OR cognitive, and once gifted, always gifted. My district has 44% of kids with this categorization. 6% receive services because the district can control by changing ORs to ANDs.

These data are now available on the state board of ed website.

OP, I can see both sides of it. We have a large number of kids bleeding from the eyeballs with boredom because they hit two of the three bars. We also have kids bored stiff in their gifted intervention classes because the pace and depth still isn't enough.