Thank you all for your input. It is so helpful. I don't want to be the parent that assumes my kids behavior is unacceptable because he's bright and bored. I have fought that argument because I feel like he does, at some point, need to learn how to operate in a classroom.

And then, he brings home another coloring worksheet with tally marks and I'm not surprised at all at his behavior. We were casually doing some multiplication and division with his pretzels when he got home from school...his idea. He's curious and he seems to get it, at least at this very basic level.

He does not like to write. Ever. Yesterday and today he was asked to write facts about apples in reading, facts about bats in science and facts about sharks in his gifted class. He can spit these facts out the first time he hears them, so why can't he go on to using this information in some meaningful way? Does he just need to learn to muscle through all the activities like fact writing? I don't know the answer to that.

It is clear that there is a disconnect and you all have offered some fantastic ideas. I want it to be clean and easy. If it's ADHD, fine. Let's deal with it and move on. Obviously, that's not the way this works. I'm tired and I feel the journey has just begun.