MON, I wish that your scenario was true. At the beginning of the year, we had a large team meeting which included a number of staff members who have known DS for 2 years. In fact, his current classroom teacher had DS previously for a few months in her class. I recall the aide - in particular - asking if we could all tell her a bit what DS is like. (One of the reasons that I was initially impressed with her!) The descriptions of DS never included anxious. "Easy going, friendly, happy, funny". Those were the words used to describe DS.

I'm not surprised that the school would equate acceleration with anxiety. The school has a very hostile attitude toward gifted children (have I mentioned what board members have said about gifted children?). DS teacher last year accused us of all sorts of things to "get" DS to want to excel in math. This aide's comments just fit in with the general attitude with the school.

What really bugs me is that I asked - so many times - about how DS was doing and asked to come and observe him. And they assured me that he was "fine" and didn't let me in!