Was she trying to imply that the accelerated work is somehow related to anxiety, or were those two unrelated random thoughts?

Yes. Last year DS was subject accelerated in math from 1st to 4th grade. After a lot of back and forth, the principal decided not to accelerate him and instead provide an "enrichment" group of 2nd graders in his classroom. In effect, they were asking him to repeat 2nd grade math, when he had already completed 4th grade math last year. When the principal told me of this plan, I told her on the spot that it wasn't happening and that I would send in the appropriate math work for him. This aide was put in place, in part, to run the math enrichment group for his class. Her comment was referring to the fact that she believes that he shouldn't be accelerated. He should just be happy to repeat material that he has already mastered.

The more I read on this board the more I'm wondering what percentage of teachers out there are actually good teachers.

Very few. Having working in public and private schools, very few public school teachers are any good. And extremely few ever get fired, if there is a teachers union. I have my own theories as to why there are so few good teachers anymore.

And it's disgusting that you continually asked how he was doing and they denied any problems.

I wanted to vomit on the spot. Fortunately I have completely hijacked my child's education (to borrow a title of a TED talk), so I no longer have to worry about how the school is actively neglecting him.

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 10/18/13 04:15 PM.