Your experience might be different but my kid is too "out of the box" to focus on methodology. I'm taking pieces out of any methodology if the curriculum meets our goals and accommodates his disabilities and strengths. What we are doing now has shifted from a month ago when we were just getting started.

I expect to keep changing as he does and that nothing is a long term solution. We just do what's working and change when it seems we need too. I like keeping an eye to the learning standards used at school but bearing in mind that some are not necessary for his progress and success. I have bigger goals for him than learning standards. (If your child returns to traditional school and you missed something then your child will have something new to learn. Nothing is earth shattering here and you have a child who picks up new things quickly.)

I do think it is easy to get swamped in the methodologies at the start. I got thrown in to home schooling without a chance to plan this year and perhaps that has also influenced my approach. The best thing about home school is you can do what works in your own style and change as much as you want/need. For us, flexibility has been foundational.