Thanks everyone. Your answers were most helpful. Like I said I don't make a big deal about report cards or grades (with my older son I do fuss if he has missing assignments because who cares if it isn't perfect or is late whatever grade you do get is better than a zero...and it doesn't compute to get great grades and then blow it by not turning stuff in but that is another story).

Every time we have discussed the move my DS8 has said that the work isn't too hard and it isn't too easy, that it feels just right. He even described his very first assignment as that way...he had been in the classroom an hour on his first day of the move and the teacher said it was time for a test and that he didn't have to take it if he didn't want to. He said he did and he said wasn't too hard and wasn't too easy. The teacher spoke to me later and showed me the test. 100% on a cold test. But he had to think and figure the answers out. That teacher I think from that moment knew that he would be fine. If he wasn't before that teacher became a believer. (He has two teachers).

I don't think he needs a certificate. I might buy a container of ice cream and just celebrate the end of the first nine weeks for both boys. They do their work with only the barest minimal help from me (really only when they truly need help or a bit of infrequent nagging for the older one). And for the most part are very responsible (at an age appropriate level, the teen has his teen moments).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary