Originally Posted by Sweetie
My son was skipped from 3rd to 4th 4 weeks into school... his grade online looks like it will be a C for Language arts. It might come up a little bit if the teacher adds a bunch of grades at the last minute but right now he only has 3 grades and one is an essay that was a D (it was a dang good essay for a third grader but wasn't quite there for a fourth grader).

This will be his first time ever not making honor roll if the C doesn't come up in the next week. I know he will be deflated. Any ideas for what to say. I don't make report cards out to be a big thing. But the schools do with certificates and all sorts of coupons from area businesses...and I don't want him to think he isn't doing a great job.
Some might consider talking to the teacher proactively, asking for clarification on his grade, and any comments on his work (especially encouraging ones), possibly even what to expect as far as school celebrations. Possibly a certificate could be made for him, acknowledging his acceleration to 4th grade? This might serve to focus on what he accomplished, as opposed to focusing on the gap between his accomplishment upon transferring up after month, and that of his 4th-grade classmates.

You may also wish to review Mindset (Carol Dweck) and consider praising his effort, talking up the fun of the mental challenge worthy of his potential. If you have any family stories to share about a time your grade was not high or you were not on Honor Roll but learned so much and were pleased, he may also draw strength from that, knowing he is in good company.
Links to these youtube videos have been recently posted on another thread:
Ashley Merryman & Po Bronson: The Myth of Praise (link-
)
Carol Dweck: Teaching a Growth Mindset (link-
)
One aspect or application of a fixed mindset is that gifted kids, in order to be seen as "right" or "smart", may stop taking appropriate risks, possibly shunning a challenge and preferring easy work which may represent a level of underachievement. A fixed mindset may work against them and be exhibited as a lack of resilience.

Parents may also print a certificate themselves at home commemorating their child's acceleration and performance, showing you are proud of him.
smile