My son was skipped from 3rd to 4th 4 weeks into school. We were just asking for a continuation of subject acceleration of math but the new principal couldn't do it and the gifted district coordinator got involved and they offered us this option.

So the first report cared is about ready to come out. Not only did he miss the first 4 weeks of 4th grade but the writing expectations for 4th grade are high because of the high stakes writing test in February. He appears to have fit in quite nicely and no one believes that he shouldn't be there. But his grade online looks like it will be a C for Language arts. It might come up a little bit if the teacher adds a bunch of grades at the last minute but right now he only has 3 grades and one is an essay that was a D (it was a dang good essay for a third grader but wasn't quite there for a fourth grader).

This will be his first time ever not making honor roll if the C doesn't come up in the next week. I know he will be deflated. Any ideas for what to say. I don't make report cards out to be a big thing. But the schools do with certificates and all sorts of coupons from area businesses...and I don't want him to think he isn't doing a great job. And I am pretty sure that he will be back up in the top of the class performers across the board by the end of the year...I also think if there were more than 3 grades in the grade book for him it would more reflect his level of performance overall...the essay just brought his grade way down.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary