I don't see where "The College Board offers some speculative reasons about why some students are college-ready and others are not."
This may be like reading something in a thread here on the board and then mentioning it later without providing the reference because it seems to be common knowledge in the current audience? It is my understanding that the College Board has been making statements about SES as related to college readiness. Rather than being a strictly causal relationship in which higher more $ = higher achievement, there may be a variety of contributing factors, including whether parents picked up a bit of knowledge about what parents can do to support and encourage their children, by experiencing this support from their own parents... this may have been missing in some families. Carefully following the interrelated issues through the web of research and discussion over several years may reveal why first-generation-college-attendees may be a focus for post-secondary intervention.

A concern may be whether the benefactors of this investment will then internalize what they've learned (e.g. The support services which have been provided to me can serve as my role model of how I can take responsibility for my future family and provide educational support and encouragement to my children) or by contrast not become internalized but rather become a multi-generational-dependency upon the system (e.g. If I do not provide educational support and encouragement to my children, the system will step in and do it for me/them.) Providing the services without teaching the growth mindset may therefore lead to entrenched multi-generational legacy of a sense of dependence/entitlement.