Originally Posted by ultramarina
However, there's something to be said for feeling concerned about the fact that THOSE WHO TAKE THE SAT are not college-ready. If it was "those who graduate from high school," the bits about vo-tech, technical degrees, etc would be more relevant.

What percentage of students take the SAT but do not then attend college? Anyone know?

I addressed this very briefly yesterday with someone else, so I happen to have some info handy.

CB's own 2013 SAT report

One of the most distressing things IN that report, imo, was that some 42% of the students who scored below that 1550 combined benchmark had taken "advanced" high school coursework... AP/honors.
Agreed!

As mentioned on another recent thread, the news media creates high school rankings which most currently are based on providing more students with access to advanced courses and exams. To gain top ratings high schools are providing advanced courses and exams to ever larger percentages of their populations without regard to student readiness or ability. Once set in motion, this Rube-Goldberg-esque educational machine calls for a structure which then improves the readiness and ability of those students. I believe the specific target groups of students are those eligible for free and reduced lunch, ethnic minorities, undocumented immigrants, those whose parents did not attend American college/university.

Some of the called-for improvement can be compatible with gifted ed... for example attitudinal approach of the growth mindset can be of benefit to all and need not be costly to implement. Parents can do this at home. Posted recently on another thread, a link to a youtube video of Carol Dweck.

The concept of fixed mindset vs growth mindset is nicely summarized in these youtube videos:
Ashley Merryman & Po Bronson: The Myth of Praise (link-
) and
Teaching a Growth Mindset (link-
) by Carol Dweck whose research was mentioned in the Bronson video clip. These links provide quick summaries, their books contain more info. One aspect or application of a fixed mindset is that gifted kids, in order to be seen as "right" or "smart", may stop taking appropriate risks, possibly shunning a challenge and preferring easy work which may represent a level of underachievement. A fixed mindset may work against them and be exhibited as a lack of resilience.