I'm not sure if its typical but definitely not uncommon. My ODS has loved to be read to since birth practically. At 6, though, he showed little interest in learning to read on his own. His comprehension, however, was always way above his decoding abilities. I wanted reading to be a joy not a chore, so I read to him and didn't push to hard on the learn-to-read books (they ARE boring after all!).
He is 10 now and reads way above grade level, but I still read to him because he still enjoys it. I am reading David Eddings' Belgariad to him right now. I am thrilled to share books I loved as a kid with him. When he was your daughter's age we read the Magic Treehouse books and he also loved George's Secret Key to the Universe series. Another favorite was The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie (Andrews) Edwards. Great book about encouraging imagination!

We also talk a lot throughout about the choices the characters make, what unfamiliar words mean, etc. I try not to ask HIM too many questions though because he starts feeling like the whole experience is a test and then its much less enjoyable for him.

My advice is to read her anything she shows an interest in and don't worry about the reading level.

Originally Posted by epoh
I just wanted to add, I do this with my son, who doesn't have any reading difficulties, as well. Right now I'm reading Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children. I've noticed that he likes to stop periodically to ask questions, and I think it's partly asking how to discuss something he's thinking... what words to use, etc.

epoh, I hadn't thought to read that one to him, I enjoyed reading it myself though. I am intrigued that the author found the pictures first and constructed the story around them. smile