Originally Posted by Pss
My 5 year old son is a great reader, but he resists books with more than a few lines on each page. If i use a piece of paper to cover up the rest of the words, he will read it, but it seems like he gets tired or intimidated by longer sections of words with smaller letters.

I dont want to push him, and just want him to continue to be a happy reader, but i do want him to have the confidence to read any books he likes.

What do you guys think?

My older son is kind of like that. What we did was we got him a kindle! He can adjust the font. He makes the font big, so there are only 4-5 words per lines. He just turned 7. His latest favorite is junior novels (for movies). He read Despicable Me 2, Smurfs 2, Turbo, Planes, Monsters University, etc this past summer. (He has not seen those movies.) All on the kindle. He also read Jack Stalwart and some other e-books we check out from the library.

While my DS5 and DS7 love Captain Underpants, I banned it from the house. My biggest problems with Captain Underpants are misspellings, and too many toilet humors. It took some months after banning Captain Underpants to hear my kids speak clean languages again.

If you have not heard of Tom Gates, check it out. Both my boys love it. It is very entertaining to read and clean (no toilet jokes).