Originally Posted by cc6
DS6 began reading silently this past year, he really enjoys reading anything to do with science, he also is into superheroes-
and
he LOVES diary of a wimpy kid!

am I absolutely horrible parent to let him read "diary" series?? books are written in a fun way and though a bit mature, DS seems to get it mostly, asks Qs as needed and mostly loves the "potty humor" ie farts and moldy cheese jokes. I know an English Lit might cringe but he's 6!! I want his reading to be fun!

for good measure though, I admit we are reading Snicketts "series of unfortunate events" together. he reads out loud or I do. mostly him. and we talk about what is happening, and it leads to many of his own imaginated adventures.
*is "imaginated" a word ? smile no. I don't believe so. but hahaaa it is now!

I believe any book that excites a reader is a worthy book. Our DS loved Diary of a Wimpy Kid series as well as Big Nate, Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants, NERDS, Dragon Breath, etc. We mixed in some finer literature to create a balanced reading diet. There was nothing more rewarding than watching DS jump up and down when a new "fun" book arrived. Nothing except watching him jump up and down (inside) for the meatier books now that he's older.