Originally Posted by KJP
He can spot small camouflaged wildlife like crazy. His teacher has noticed this as did a naturalist at a local museum.

He can beat anyone I know on those "spot the difference"

Your DS sounds similar mine.

He's always had this unusually strong visual/spatial aptitude (advanced mazes, puzzles, etc) and he sees things that other people miss. He was also screened for auditory processing (at age 8) and he does have an issue with binaural integration/separation (his brain prefers his right ear, even though the hearing in both ears tests as normal).

I've always compensated by slowing down and over articulating my speech, which seems to have helped, although he did for awhile mimic my speaking style and sounded somewhat babyish (he's outgrown this). His classroom teacher sat him to the left of the class at the front so that his right ear was positioned to hear her while teaching. The school was able to get him an "easy listening" system (like a simpler version of an FM system) which helped a bit, although he didn't always want to wear the headphones.

That was last year... this year? Who knows. My kids find out who their teachers will be today, so I'm anxious to find out who I'll be working with...

Last edited by CCN; 09/05/13 09:22 AM.