I'm certainly not in favor of prepping for an IQ test, but I don't regard the SAT as a true ability/ IQ test. If you have terrible math teachers, you aren't going to do well on it. The verbal section is a little different, but again, if you haven't been taught well...(I admit, I don't really remember what this section is like, and I think it's been changed anyway). Writing, too.

I did not prep for the SAT in any way, and I probably should have (for the math portion). I was a very indifferent math student--I do mean indifferent, as in "frequently not paying attention" as well as "not very good"--and a little focused review would have done me some good. My parents did not believe in test prep at all and never suggested that we do anything to prepare. In my case and my other brother's case, it worked out fine anyway, though I could have done better on the math with some simple review. My other brother, who may have some slight LDs, could probably really have benefited from prepping, and it might have gone a long way towards helping him get past his lifelong feelings of inferiority, which later led to some bad choices.