Re whether or not the school counselor will help, chances are you won't know for sure unless you try. I see a few key areas to think through:

1) Even when you *know* the issue you're trying to work through, finding a good fit for children with a counselor isn't easy - you have to find a good match of both counselor personality and technique plus child personality plus child willingness to spend time and talk to the counselor.

2) You need to really understand as much as you can about what's at the root of the issue that's causing the anxiety and behaviors you're trying to find help with. Your ds is obviously highly anxious about school, and needs help - with *something*. But if you're not certain what that something is and the counselor doesn't really have any idea, chances are spending time with the counselor isn't going to help in a meaningful way.

3) I wouldn't automatically assume that anxiety is all about being misplaced as a GT student. Please know I only mention this from personal experience with my 2e EG ds when he was showing signs of extreme anxiety in early elementary - it's easy to make that leap and assume that's what the issue is - but it *might* also be something more.

3) I read back through a few of your previous posts to remember a little bit about your ds' past school experience etc. The neuropsych and developmental optometrist testing you've had show a challenge with handwriting and vision - I would start by observing and talking to your ds and trying to see if maybe there's a connection there to his anxiety and reluctance to go to school. The counselor might be able to help you with that - but school staff are busy and their time is limited, and they aren't ever going to be as invested in your ds' well-being as you are so they won't necessarily see the connections that you might find when you look in detail at what tasks your ds is doing throughout the school day and think through how vision/fine motor/etc challenges might impact them.

4) Does your ds have any accommodations for vision/handwriting? It's possible something relatively simple is leading to a lot of stress for him in the classroom. For instance, my dd who had vision challenges flew through K-1 without ever noticing herself that anything was hard to see, but in 2nd grade she was suddenly extremely upset about not being able to read from the board in the classroom. That was really puzzling to me at first, because her 1st grade teacher used the whiteboard all the time and she never said a word about not being able to read what was on the board. The difference was in the size of the teacher's handwriting (not all that much smaller) and lower light in the classroom.

5) I think it's important to realize that no matter how highly gifted our children are, in early elementary school they are still children and they might *not* be self-aware (or worldly aware) enough to help give us the info they need to understand what is causing them anxiety. My 2e ds used to rush through or refuse to do his written classwork in K-1 we thought that was simply because it was too easy and it never raised any red flags with his teacher or caused and "problems" in the classroom. He liked his teacher and he seemed to like school for the most part. He had two good friends at school. Then in 2nd grade his world started imploding on him - he became increasingly anxious to the point of having panic attacks. When I picked him up at school he was in an anxious rush to tell me something he'd been thinking about at school and really really wanted to build (or whatever) at home. His teacher told us he started off into space and didn't try to do his work and it had to be because he was either lazy or adhd. We thought the staring off into space and refusing to do work was related to giftedness and perfectionism. That was the year his anxiety built up to the point we finally consulted with a neuropsych and found out he was 2e. You've already been to the neuropsych so you already have a great deal of information about your ds' situation re strengths and weaknesses and how they will impact academics etc - so based on what you know from that, think through how it might be impacting him at school. It's just my gut feeling that there is a possibility there is something happening with respect to academics and being in the classroom that is potentially fueling his anxiety.

Last thought - I think (forgive me if I am remembering incorrectly) - that your ds has had some vision therapy and it's helped? It's just a word of caution - my dd who benefited *tremendously* from vision therapy also has had the benefits of it reverse and her original vision challenges come back and is now going through a second round of VT. One of her vision therapists has as dd with similar challenges who has also had the same thing happen - so I would recommend just paying attention to situations that might indicate vision is an issue again - and not all of those situations are going to be so easy and straightforward to figure out when children are so young - even though my dd is much more self-aware at 11, we just within the past few weeks discovered she's been having headaches for *years* but didn't really understand it was a headache so she'd never mentioned it to us. We only found out because we've had a yucky virus going around and my younger dd was asking for medicine because she had a headache. My older dd just out of the blue asked "What exactly *is* a headache?" - and she's a smart girl! We never would have guessed she didn't know what a headache was - and she knew *in theory* but once we described what it felt like she said "Oh! I get those all the time! I never knew that was a headache!". Yikes! So yeah, even as smart as she is, she also has had a history of sensory issues and living with headaches etc so I suspect she neither processes or interprets pain in the same way most of us do, and that she is used to it so she doesn't think to mention it. That's an example of how it can be difficult to really understand what's up with our children, especially when they are very young.

Sorry for that long ramble - I hope some of it helped!

Best wishes,

polarbear