As I was reading the friendships thread and thinking about my ds6 in 1st grade; I've started to wonder if talking to the school counselor would help him or even me?

I'm sure you know last year was awful- he was bored with no friends. However, mostly behaved in class per the teacher.
This year, he is able to verbalize more, but still I feel like parts are left out. He is already refusing to go to school- saying he's sick. On a good day, he may just say he wants to stay with me. His behavior after school is horrendous. He is crying hysterically, yelling, talking back, hitting himself. I feel like I'm walking on egg shells. He tells me he's lonely at school. Also, he has started having nightmares 3-4 nights a week (school nights) that all involve something killing him- monster, snake, etc. I'm thinking these are just anxiety dreams.

Last year, he resorted to being "the class clown" to get attention. So far this year, he has talked about wanting to be "hilarious", but needing to use self control.

I'm not sure if he needs skills to interact or if I need advice to help him or both. I plan to reach out to the teacher, but I am concerned that I need more. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. (I was hoping to have a more positive start. Sorry. Thanks for reading/ listening.)