I used that thing with my students when I was a teacher.

All of the words he skips he CAN read in isolation? If you made up a page of random phrases like: (it won't let me post this as I want...separate the phrases with large spaces don't run them all together like the board has them)

into the woods after the movie wash the dishes

cut her hair stuff I love etc.

Can he read those with no errors?

I would (if it were my kid) make up two or three pages of random 3 to 5 word phrases and have him read them at a comfortable pace and tell him accuracy counts no skips or additions or substitutions for a set time (one minute or two minutes depending on how many phrases you make up)...count up his errors and total words read. A day later do it again starting at a random starting spot not at the beginning. See if he can improve total number of words read while decreasing skips/additions/substitutions. You can graph your results.

Another thing you can do for fun is retype a selection from something he knows like Winnie the Pooh or another favorite that you have started at the end of a paragraph and retype it backwards.

These fun exercises will let you know if there is a reading problem or if he just needs to focus during reading aloud.

Last edited by Sweetie; 08/15/13 12:19 PM. Reason: the board didn't format it as I wanted it)

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary