Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by CCN
I told my dd10 the full version of the facts of life when she was 8, because she was going into a 4/5 split and i knew there would be kids in her class 2 years older and she would likely hear things.

Yikes. DD8 will be spending half her day in a G/T class of grades 4-6, and I hadn't considered the implications on this topic yet. Looks like I have a conversation with the DW tonight.

Dude, my apologies for veering a bit OT here, but fwiw, you might find that knowledge of the facts of life is only one slice of what might be up for among a class of 4th-6th graders. I have a few friends who's children went to a school that split grades up by 3 years like that, and they loved 1st-3rd but found that they (as parents) had a bit of "culture shock" moving into the 4th-6th grouping - there is such a large developmental difference just between typical-age 4th graders and 6th graders (to be transparent here, the children I now who were at this school were all girls... and as the mom of a son and a dd who've both gone through those grades... the son was a lot easier lol!). Anyway, my dd11 was a 5th grader in a 5th/6th split class last year and even with the older split there was still quite a difference in where the girls were at regarding boys, makeup, music, how they used social media and technology, what they did for fun etc.

It will really all be ok - so I hope my post didn't sound horrid or scary or anything! Just wanted to give you a heads up that 6th grade girls are light years different than typical 4th graders, so don't be surprised at what might pop up this coming school year.

FWIW, my ds was in a 4th/5th grade split class for both of those years... a few years back.. and at that time... the 5th grade girls all thought they were vampires. Seriously. There's nothing more amusing than tween girls when the hormones start kicking in lol!

Best wishes,

polarbear