DS3.4 is one of those very early readers (would fit most Hyperlexia III but he understands what he reads) and very delayed speech. He received Autism diagnosis before he turned 3 (after a very quick eval). If he was a child who wasn't a late talker, he would be simply an early reader with severe sensory processing disorder. But because of the speech delay, everyone immediately jumps to Autism with splinter skills. Except ... he does NOT have splinter skills. He's too good in too many areas to have these be splinter skills. And he's one of those kids for whom therapy turns out to be a complete disaster. He now gets a total of 90 minutes therapy spent with DS4.11 to work on sensory problems but that's about it and I couldn't be happier with that set up. And if the school tells me one more time to put him in special ed preschool or self contained classroom, I will completely lose it.

Is he really autistic? We don't know. We have another evaluation set up for about 6 months from now through a different place than last time and until then (and even after the evaluation) our plan is to simply follow DS's lead. He can't stand anyone teaching him or repeating things to him. He self-taught himself to read and now he's using that knowledge to teach himself to speak. And he doesn't want anyone messing with his system smile