As an auditory learner, I have to flesh out reliable high level audio and video files to build my initial groundwork. I will often read a light overview of the topic next; the more conversational the language, the better. I literally imagine (hear) the information as I process it.

Next, I map out the field of knowledge diagrammatically and as exhaustively as possible. I usually cross reference graduate-level course outlines from several universities to build my learning "masthead". Then, colour code the topics, and focus on mastery of individual sub-topics from most to least general. I choose a soundtrack to associate with each sub-topic, usually one song played on a loop while I process the information. To cement the new knowledge, I have to talk to myself as if I were giving a lecture, often while in motion, with the complete soundtrack on in the background. I also write out thematic points on index cards, shuffle them, and redo my auto-lecture to prove to myself that I understand the material in and out of context.

If it's a topic that I'm quite serious about, I'll usually follow up with a meeting with at least one field expert and discuss what I've learned to identify my weaknesses or gaps. If nobody is a available, I'll skim the most advanced texts I can find on the topic.

I've never formally considered this process before; I seem rather aurally fixated now that I read this! My preferred way to learn is Socratic; I'll interrogate the heck out of a field expert if given the opportunity.

Good thread idea, Val.