It sounds like what what the school is seeing your dd needing is individualized instruction in math, but not in other areas (reading, writing). If that's the case they will most likely qualify her under SLD/math. Even if the IEP qualification is SLD/math your dd can still receive accommodations (and possibly even have IEP goals written) for other types of challenges - so if she needs to use the keyboard for writing essays, for instance, or if she needs to have test questions read to her, each of those accommodations would appear under her list of accommodations in the IEP, even it if's not directly linked to the need for math instruction.

The key to writing the IEP is to identifying what your dd's needs are - where she needs individualized instruction, where she needs accommodations. I'm a little surprised that if she has a private dyslexia diagnosis she hasn't been identified as SLD/reading at school - do you feel that she's really doing ok with reading? Reading difficulties can be difficult to tease out in a gifted student simply because they are able to compensate, but if I were you and I had *any* worries at all about her reading I'd push for a thorough reading evaluation and request she be considered for reading services as part of her IEP.

Re "slow processing speed" - I think that we often refer to our kids who have low WISC scores as kids who have "slow processing speed" - but really those WISC subtests are testing very specific skills, and the way to help our kids is not to think of them as having "slow processing speed" so much as to instead really understand *why* those scores on those specific tests are low. My ds, for instance, has slow processing speed scores because his dyspraxia/dysgraphia impacts his fine motor skills. Another student who has dysgraphia might have low processing speed scores because of a visual challenge. Both students may need the same accommodations, but different types of therapy or remediation based on the root cause of the challenge. I wouldn't expect their to be a category for "slow processing speed" qualifying for an IEP... but if it's truly a "low cognitive tempo" issue, that might come under OHI? I'd suspect your school pscyh knows the ins and outs of that based on what you've posted.

Is the SLP person who administered the CELF going to be at the meeting? I'd want her/him present. Have you asked if she qualifies for speech therapy or if it would help? I'm guessing it would... but that's just a guess!

Lastly, if what's offered up from the psych are things like "slow cognitive fluency" etc - I'd ask for details. What does that mean? How was it determined, how does it show up on which tests, what types of things can be done to help improve it?

FWIW, I suspect it's related to her dyspraxia diagnosis - just a guess (as the mom of a dyspraxic). If there *is* something that the school psych suggests can be done to remediate it, I'd so push for that - my dyspraxic ds is slow in his movements and also in his speech - it takes him noticably longer than others to contribute his thoughts and ideas, and in middle school this is beginning to really impact him in class discussions - yet it's also been soooo danged hard to get his teachers to understand. And it's so frustrating to him!

Anyway, I suspect I've mostly rambled - I hope some of it makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear