DS first grade has been attending 4th grade math (once a week) for a few months. We had a planning meeting today for next year. The principal informed us that DS will have NO acceleration next year. Nothing. He is to go to second grade and experience the differentiation that they don't actually do, like everyone else.

The reasoning? Gaps of course. But also (and the real reason), if they make this exception for us, the "line of other parents requesting the same" will also have to be accommodated.

Yes, I questioned the principal. Then she also started down the, "well yes, the psych report is outstanding and remarkable, but we really don't know who she is". (I won't name her, but she is an expert in gifted children for the past couple of decades.)

We've told the principal that this is unacceptable. If they do not go back and make some accommodation (we are ok with just a 2 year subject acceleration), we will pull out DS. They are regrouping and will get back to us in 2 weeks.

Is this totally nuts? Has anyone else been in this spot? And why do I feel so hurt? It's just business, right?