In your shoes, I'd be looking to spend a reasonable but not excessive amount of time on academics, and pour the rest into helping him learn these other skills.

One of the hidden strengths of virtual schools for 2e kids is that you CAN spend only 2h a day on 'academics' and then spend the bulk of the "instructional" time on other kinds of learning-- whatever your child's second exceptionality seems to require.

This is a thing which is really hard to explain to anyone that doesn't have a 2e child, but it's HUGE.

It's probably THE reason why, as bad as Connections has sometimes been w/r/t fit (and it has-- you may want to prepare yourself by reading some of my rants about what Pearson and Co feel is "effective assessment practice." Ugh.); we are still with them after seven years.

It leaves plenty of time for the other stuff that my DD has to learn in order to live with her disability and differences, and also provides a route to reasonably good acceleration/compacting opportunities.

Oh, and the exposure to a variety of teacher styles-- something that I could never provide her as a homeschooler going it alone.

Best wishes with K12!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.