Thanks, everyone
Polarbear, I am not sure what the thread "Gifted or Pushed" was all about -- I don't think that was my intro thread. Regardless, I agree with doing the neuropsych eval. I am just not sure when we will actually be able to get in, unlike a regular psychologist for ruling out/ruling in ADHD.

While I agree with the previous poster who mentioned getting thoughts into writing can lag behind other academic skills, particularly at this age, I'd still want a little more clarity on why the writing is lagging. You have one tester's observations and opinions. Does it match what you see? Have you had any measure of your ds' handwriting speed relative to same-age peers? Is he doing ok with punctuation, not reversing letters, etc? Is his handwriting relatively neat and legible or is it all over the place? Has he learned how to tie his shoes yet? How is he doing in school when given a writing or story telling task? How is he doing when given a fine motor task? A neuropsych will be able to tell you if there is something to be concerned about. Chances are there isn't, but otoh, if there is - it's better to catch it earlier than to have it be an issue that holds him back from accelerated placement.

Yes, he is doing good with punctuation, not reversing letters, handwriting is pretty neat and legible. By speed, the tester is referring to him completing the task once it is given. He takes a long time to complete it. The tester said that once he knows or determines what to write, he writes it pretty soon. His writing also is pretty logical and stays on topic. He is okay with other fine motor tasks -- I would say average. I haven't had a chance to compare handwriting speeds, but I have compared handwriting or just writing quality, and I think my kid is pretty good, compared to his peers. The tester also said that the quality of his writing is good, and that he is a natural speller.

I'm also wondering - has the school staff mentioned anything else other than fine motor and having to prompt him to keep him on task as reasons they suspect ADHD? What's your gut feeling re ADHD - do you see signs of it at home or in other situations?

The staff has mentioned that he has problems transitioning from one task to another -- i.e., takes him a long time to pack away his supplies and pick up his lunchbag (that sort of thing). If he is ADHD -- I think he may fall under ADHD - inattentive.

I keep wondering if I have to ask for some sort of differentiation for 1st grade.