Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
They believe that the Cogat scores can accurately identify the truely gifted kids because high Cogat scores always turn out high IQ scores in their experience.
We also saw about a 30 point difference between IQ on the WISC and the CogAT and, like others, IQ was in the HG+ range (right above DYS requirements with very erratic scores and a number of ceiling scores). The things I've found interesting are;

1) I hear this kind of thing a lot with HG kids and especially with 2e kids
2) In my anecdotal experience, the nonverbal scores are a better indicator of a kid who will do well on an IQ test than are the other CogAT indices although the other indices are the ones schools usually use for GT ids
3) I have seen things come out both ways: kids who have individual IQ scores that are much higher than their CogAT scores and, unlike the part I quoted above, kids whose IQ scores are a good deal lower than their CogAT scores (usually with high achieving good students who do well on the parts of the CogAT that schools look at: verbal and/or quantitative more than nonverbal)
4) the strengths and weaknesses often do not line up btwn the CogAT and IQ. For instance, my kiddo who I mentioned above, has twice taken the WISC. Both times she had ceiling scores within the verbal comprehension section and that whole section came out above the 99th percentile. On the CogAT, nonverbal was her strongest area and verbal her weakest. She is 2e FWIW.