When my dd started school they gave her readers well below her reading level and told me they wouldn't move her ahead because she couldn't demonstrate that she could comprehend them. I was astonished because it was very apparent that she had great comprehension of books that were significantly more complex than the ones they were asking her to read. Eventually it dawned on me that she couldn't tell them what happened because she had switched off while she was reading because they were so unengaging. Her mind was off doing other things and so while the words were coming out, she wasn't paying any attention to them.

Dd has never been one who likes to show what she knows, so even books she loves she is reluctant to tell us about if we ask her directly, but like amazedmom's daughter, she'll chatter about them non-stop and incorporate them in to other parts of her life so you get a real sense of her level of understanding. She has had a teacher this year who has had fun with this and has been creative in getting dd to show what she understands, plus she's had some success in pushing dd because dd knows this teacher 'sees' her - but it's the first time a teacher has been prepared to listen to us and to make the effort.

I don't really have any answers (other than ... erm .... populating schools with fabulous, creative teachers ... ) just thought I'd let you know you're not alone!