MY son has some fine motor skill problems and that is where the OT is expected to help. If he has audio processing problems instead of a hearing problem, my understanding is that an OT might also be helpful there - but at the moment, I'm leaning towards hearing problem as he has started yelling a lot lately.

We had our first round of individual achievement testing done with a local psychometrist for less than $200. It was actually pretty accurate, although he refused to share grade level scores feeling they were too ridiculous to be meaningful. We had a pretty full neuropsych exam for $1200 - although without the IQ test.

A couple of years back, we considered full blown evaluations and dismissed it as too much money. Now we have reached the point of not holding anything back when it comes to the kids. We have discovered the value of real information.

As for ADHD - that was one of the motivations for the evaluation of my son. The school was making 'attention problem' noises. I often have people come up to me in public and comment about how they also have an ADHD son - clearly having 'diagnosed' my son based on their observations.

Well, the neuropsych blew that idea out of the water conclusively. No attention problems. Just boredom - although apparently the motor skills and the hearing have contributed to some of what folks have interpreted as ADHD. I'm sure he has Dabrowski's overexcitabilities too although he is calming down a bit as he gets older. (Big mature 7 now.... LOL)

Google on Nation Deceived report and download that. It covers a number of ways of dealing with gifted kids in the classroom and is good reading. Free too.

Mary

Mary