Hi, I have been a member here for a short time. I�ve read through all the posts and it is comforting to read about others� experiences that are so similar to ours. I have two gifted children, though not profoundly gifted. Regardless, we face many of the same daily issues as the profoundly gifted. Our son is nine years old. We had a school psychologist administer the WISC IV when he was 7. He scored in the 98th percentile. What I didn�t know at the time of testing was the psychologist primarily works with learning-disabled children and had never administered an IQ test for a gifted child. After receiving his scores the psychologist stated, �Wow, I�ve never had a child score so high!� A red flag went off in my mind because I had already read �Genius Denied� and knew many children would score higher. We are considering taking both of our children for an evaluation by a psychologist who does work with gifted children. The school psychologist rated him very high in the verbal portion of the WISC IV and lower in the quantitative portion. Months later he completed the School and College Ability Test (SCAT) through Johns Hopkins and his scores reflected the exact opposite. Our motivation for a second evaluation isn�t that we�re seeking a higher score, but rather a more credible score. I�ve read that a second IQ test shouldn�t be administered until a considerable time has passed since the first. Any opinions on how much time we should allow between tests?

Our daughter is seven years old and has never been IQ tested. When she entered school last year she spent two months in kindergarten and then the school administrator suggested we move her to first grade. She is now in the second grade and still complains of boredom and often states, �I�m sick of waiting for everyone else.� I volunteer in her classroom one day a week and I often observe her placing her head down on her desk and closing her eyes. I mentioned this to her teacher and was told she does this often. The teacher feels this is her way of absorbing information. I wonder if she�s just checking out, though.

Our two kids are very different in their giftedness. Our son is very vocal about his situation at school and tells his teachers exactly what�s on his mind!! Our daughter is quiet and obedient. She does exactly what the teacher wants and then I get an ear full of her true opinions when she gets home. We call her the �silent dissenter.�

The school doesn�t have a gifted and talented program. The administrator claims they will have something in place next year. It may just consist of some distance learning options though.

Thanks for reading my post and please reply with any suggestions.

J.