I really don't believe that the CogAT is a good way to diagnose or bring to light potential LDs. LDs are more often suspected when achievement is below ability measures rather than the other way around and it is much better to look @ an individual IQ test as the ability measure in that instance.

Now a days, they are looking @ diagnosing LDs somewhat differently although I am less familiar with that process. I know that response to intervention is a term thrown around a lot in the LD field.

I really wouldn't suspect a verbal LD in a child who is reading comfortably at six and who isn't complaining or showing unusual symptoms. Things that might indicate a verbal LD in a gifted child who is still reading well due to the giftedness would be stuff like complaining of headaches when reading, words moving on the page, having to re-read passages b/c s/he lost his/her place on the page or didn't understand, substituting easy words like "for" instead of "from" while reading larger words correctly, phonics difficulties (inability to sound out novel words)...

FWIW, and I am not positive on this, but I don't believe that the reading section of the ITBS for a 1st grader actually involves reading independently. I believe that the entire test is read to the students at that age (as a group).