Originally Posted by SiaSL
Originally Posted by marytheres
I think all these struggles about lunch time and silent lunches and not letting kids talk 'til they have "eaten enough" etc., ect. are absolutely ridiculous and damaging!

The implementation might be sorely lacking, but the fact that your child/most children can eat and talk at the same time does not mean that the problem these schools are trying to address, however badly, does not exist.

I have exactly the child that gets these policies put into place. Talks, doesn't eat, behavioral issues from low blood sugar. Fortunately for him the school addressed the issue through his IEP instead of trying school-wide "fixes". But not all kids have the "luxury" of an IEP.

I hear you but, IMO, the vast majority of children eat when they are hungry... They do seem lose that ability when adults force them to eat and not eat at arbitrary times... hence obesity and eating disorders. If a kid has an eating challenge then that can be addressed in a 504 or iep or just talking with the school... But, most children should be left alone and be the judge of whether their bodies need more or less food... My friends who are from Europe are shocked at the amount of 'force feeding' of children Americans do... and they are right, imo. All of them shake their heads and say "no wonder America has an obesity problem."