Originally Posted by eastcoast
Well, he's mastered the few topics he missed on the test )in the past hour). They were all easy things. Do I tell her to retest him tomorrow?

The question I have is, if they won't move him up, what does he do doing the regular class time? He has now declared he won't do the homework anymore . He's really getting angry about all of this. This anger is significant because he is such an easy going kid...he is rarely explosive.

Wouldn't it be great if they would retest him tomorrow? That's awesome that he's already learned the stuff he missed. You are there and can see the teachers' and school's reactions, so maybe you could mention that he might do better now on the test. I tend to try to avoid confrontation partly because it has always backfired on me, and you do sometimes run into people who take a dislike for some reason or other and then are deliberately obstructionist, so I might not do that myself, but maybe it's worth a polite reiteration just in case.

As to regular classroom time, do you think he's capable of trying to 'change the system from within' as it were--that is, doing the regular math work (which he can probably do in just a few minutes) and then politely asking for another worksheet or the next topic as the other kids continue to work? Perhaps if he can be polite and persistent the teacher will come around and recognize that he needs to be advanced. But doing that without getting frustrated is a lot to expect of a 6-year-old, especially one who's already upset about the situation.

Another alternative I've seen people mention is making up your own worksheets for him to take into class, so he could do those after he finishes the regular work--and then he could earn a reward or whatever at home for doing them. If the teacher doesn't come up with something better and doesn't object (not that they should, of course).

It is not fair that you're having to work around this; I hope you can find a way for your son to be happy in school. Good luck!