My DD has just recently been diagnosed with Aspergers, she's borderline, she definitely needs social skill support, but the social skills group for girls with Aspergers of her age that we enrolled her in was an unmitigated disaster and we pulled her out after one session - she came home saying "OMG what do you think is WRONG with me? Why did you send me there? They talk to us like babies... Like stupid babies..."

We know she needs something but that clearly wasn't it. If we had been required by school to have her doing something I am pretty sure we would have still pulled her out of that one, with a firm commitment to the school to find something more suitable asap. Actively damaging her self esteem was not going to do anything for her social skills.

In the case of the course we pulled out of I think the content was probably ok, but that the particular facilitators we had delivering the course were completely lacking the skills and personality required to do it well. And quite possibly completely lacking the social skills they were supposed to be demonstrating... The person taking the group is critical.