Originally Posted by La Texican
Some of the brightest people fifty years ago, everybody thought they were going to be world leaders, grew up to be middle management. That's worth discussing. A lot of people make comments in front of smart kids about them changing the world some day, you know.

There's a similar book anout gifted girls I plan to buy for my daughter.

That book sounds very interesting (esp the one about gifted girls--I am going to hunt for it).

I heard the same kind of thing when I was a kid (about how one should try to be president, etc.) but had the impression it was due to the cultural influence of "The Little Engine That Could" and the like. Which I ultimately decided was very unrealistic and even unkind--we can't all be whatever we choose if we just try hard enough, and to tell kids they can is basically saying that if they don't succeed at reaching whatever goal they choose, they just aren't trying. I think it's healthier to discuss how everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and you should do your best with what you have without becoming a driven, bitter, disappointed grownup. Or at least try wink