Originally Posted by MagnaSky
My 11 year old just realized that he will have to wait till college to find his academic peers. He actually asked me to confirm this yesterday, and asked if there are other options. Well, not where we live. So I mentioned summer camps and online classes as a way to find peers earlier.

My eldest DS is a 2nd semester college Freshman this year. We too thought he'd find his peer group once he hit college. Once he hit Middle School it got a wee bit better each year and continues to, however, even as a Freshman in college he's often surrounded with people of his own age who don't have the sense of maturity, responsibility, or course load which makes for them having a difficult time to relate to our DS. Like I said, it continues to get better, however, it never is completely solved.

So what's the solution? A few years back I started working with him on what I call "Making your own world" In short, he can't depend on others to make his world or make him feel a part of a peer group, instead, he needs to work on seeking out and surrounding HIMSELF with those of like mind, maturity, responsibility, and emotional sensitivity. It stands to reason that when you're one of few you have to expect to work to seek others of similar mindset out, it seldom happens on it's own.