keet, I'm sorry - I just saw this post for the first time today. I don't have time to post info about accommodations at the moment, but will come back later and make some suggestions.

Originally Posted by AtSouthDam
Puffin, I don't know about the OP's state but in our state (CO) Dyslexia only qualifies for an IEP if the child is below state standards and is failing to make adequate progress towards them.

We have an IEP for our dysgraphic ds, and he's never been considered to be "failing" and he's always scored "proficient" on state testing in the area of his disability and "advanced" in every other subject - but he was in fact several grade levels behind in ability to generate written expression. They key to getting an IEP is two-fold: first, your child should need *individualized instruction* - this is different than needing accommodations. For a theoretical child who is dysgraphic but not in any other way challenged, an IEP usually isn't necessary because once they have the appropriate accommodations in place they will be able to show their knowledge and participate fully in whatever classroom they are in (regular, gifted, etc). If your child has fallen behind in some area of written expression due to dysgraphia, has an additional challenge impacting written expression, or needs instruction in an area that coincides with dysgraphia (spelling for instance), he/she will need extra instruction and usually the best way to guarantee that happens in school is through an IEP.

Second key to getting an IEP - when you're in a school district that isn't terribly disability-friendly or is stretched already with an overwhelming number of children needing services, the majority of the work and research and advocating typically falls on the parent and it takes a lot of work - note, that doesn't mean it can't be accomplished, just takes a lot of work as a parent.

I'll be back later with our experiences with accommodations smile

Best wishes,

polarbear