Originally Posted by Jeff
you are right. the portfolio only focused on math as I don't know how to present a portfolio showing him reading 2~3 grade level above history/geography materials. but I did include award certificates of a few state level piano competitions. He is also good at chess and go game, play a few team sports at recreation level as he is not tall for his age.

Your DS sounds really talented in math and should be a good DYS candidate. Short of one of the accepted IQ tests, do you have other test scores that would support extreme high intelligence? That may make a difference if there are multiple sources of confirmation of intelligenece and achievement. Again, just my two cents, but I don't think reading 2-3 grade levels ahead will impress anyone, particularly given his current age. If you get an opportunity to supplement your portfolio, what you should provide is written output in his own handwriting without any editing or scaffolding by you. For example, can he write the next chapter for a well-regarded classic novel that is 2-3 grade level above? Of course, it is not expected to be "great," but it can demonstrate how well he internalized and applied the themes and conventions to his own writing. Regarding an interest in history, focus on what he can do with the imformation rather than the fact that he can read it. In answer to one of the questions on DS' application, I illustrated his interest/ability in history/government at age 7 by describing how well he was able to speedily applied the Constitutional Amendments to factual scenarios in an educational program designed to teach high school students the Amendments. I don't rememeber where I read it, but Davisons is not looking for art, music or athletic abilities. I also don't believe ability to play chess or go will help him on admissions.