I was going to start a thread, but this is similar enough I'll ask here.

My 7yo son (in 1st grade, but doing 4th grade Math) hasn't done any of these tests yet (and he'll first start with SCAT and EXPLORE when possible), but the JHU CTY SET Math SAT 700 is in our eventual sights. I also saw online a higher target http://www.tip.duke.edu/node/1347 (seventh graders earning a perfect score on one or more sections of the ACT or SAT) which is another tempting target.

My question is this. How prepared for the Math SAT (or ACT) are you after having completed each of the standard courses Prealgebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra 2? (Is it true that no further courses are needed to cover the topics?) I'm not sure how to quantify that, but hopefully the question makes sense. I've never taken any American tests myself, but we live here now.

Is there something to be said for completing these courses first before attempting Math SAT/ACT? Or is it better to have a couple of attempts, say once a year, before that, as a warm-up and to see where you are? (He would complete the courses while still young enough to qualify for the awards.)