I did private testing, since I told the school repeatedly he was struggling (but they did nothing). The psychoeducational testing was very useful and that's where they identified the Aspergers. However, in terms of academics the only recommendations where GT/LD program and Asperger's program since the evaluator did not know the elementary level programs (son just turned 11/5th grade). I was led to believe at the IEP meeting (our first IEP by the way) that GT/LD didn't provide the social and behavior support that Khalil needed.

On low-level writing, I understand that they need to start from scratch, and work on basics, but it seems they should be able to work on basic writing (maybe 2nd grade level, meaning two sentences at a time, or however, it's broken down) but using vocabulary and topics that are more advanced? For example the entire HFA class (combined 4th/5th) will spend extended time on writing sentences etc., with vocabulary words like "observe."

And maybe I am just making excuses for ill behavior, but it wasn't like this in 2nd/3rd grade where it was more moderate complaints from him about baby work etc., but at least I had him in the most advanced reading and math the school offered (1 grade above) but it's slowly deteriorated and gotten worse as he becomes I guess a more and more "frustrated" learner. Intellectually, verbally & mathematically very advanced, but unable to make that match on paper with writing, memory and visual spatial problems.

Thanks for all the thoughts, really struggling with what to do next.