Thanks for all the feedback! We have a good relationship with the school and the gifted teacher in particular. She had some great suggestions for recommendations/accommodations for DS at our last meeting. Also she really seem to get ALL of DS, which is why we would want her there.
He displays some negative behaviors in the regular classroom that seem to disappear during his time in the GT room. Given it is shorter period of time, and he is highly motivated to be there. We just feel like to she would be useful in identifying things to help DS cope in the regular classroom also. For example she allows DS to walk around the room or get a drink of water to help him refocus. She has also reported that she is successfully able to use nonverbal cues to redirect DS. With DS's Aspergers DX that is a big deal for us.
We are very fortunate that he has a great 3rd grade teacher. 1st and 2nd were a complete nightmare. DS is finally turning the corner and starting to like school again, and I attribute this mostly to his regular classroom teacher.
I think I will reach out to the principle and include the reasons we would like her to be apart of the team. Thanks!