DD10 - ARRRRGH.

I don't know where to begin without launching into pages and pages of history, but here are a couple of key points:

- she suffers from perfectionism
- she used to be FIERCELY COMPETITIVE when she was younger. It was pathological, actually... not constructive at all. Now she doesn't seem to care about anything.

My current "ARRRRGH" has to do with her science fair project mark. Ready? (cringe) She got a C. Given the fact that her content was absolute bare minimum and she neglected to submit a bibliography (one of the required elements), I think a C is exceedingly generous. The problem? She's not really into science.

Basically she excels at whatever she happens to be interested in, and she glosses over and turns her back on whatever bores her.

She's much better than she used to be, because the "refusal to exert effort" problem also used to apply to things that scared her (seemed too difficult). We're making tremendous strides in this area.

However... my problem remains figuring out how to get her to care about grades, which will be an important strategic tool later for her to obtain what she wants. The problem is, grades are more about motivation than they are about cognition.

DD10 is just not interested in jumping through other people's hoops, and the older she gets, the more this concerns me. <--- (when I read this back it seems ridiculous - i.e. it's good that she's not at the whim of other people's standards... but you know what I mean).

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited by CCN; 03/04/13 10:42 AM.