Jolaine83, he doesn't do very well with transitions either. Neither did my oldest who used to flat out refuse to move when they were going into a different room at preschool. He has come a long way though, no issues now in Kindergarten, so I have hope for my little one...:-)

Very possible the rug issue was him not liking change. He gets comfortable in a situation and wants it to stay that way. A new rug...not good. So you are right, in a way, that is a transition as well.

As far as the clothes. He doesn't really care what he wears usually. So I don't think it is one of those things like some of you experience. And I don't think the PJ's was a transition thing either since he was fine with the other new PJ I had bought and introduced at the same time. It was just the pattern that upset him.

Just spent 1 hour torturing him since he needed a haircut and a bath. Haircuts are horrible. I have a machine that is very quiet but he screams his lungs out. Also baths are a nightmare. Actually we don't do baths anymore. I sit him down on a step stool in the tub and use a hand held shower head. It is faster that way and easier. Still, he can't stand water dripping from the over head shower head so I have to tie a plastic bag to it that picks out the water that drips out. (It leaks a tiny bit....I put it in and I am not a plumber.....guess I should have it fixed ;-) Then of course he doesn't like the feel of the water very much, especially when washing his hair. I think that is pretty normal though. Seems it is the whole experience that is just too much. Too overwhelming.

I totally see how the banana would upset your little one, and I also see myself doing just what you did with the toothpicks. It is amazing the things I do to keep him balanced and calm when he is upset about "strange" things....