Originally Posted by Dude
Sounds to me like he's employing an acceptable coping mechanism for boredom, while also learning a valuable lesson about following directions. Where's the problem?

I would tell the teacher that if she wants him to pay attention, she ought to offer him something to learn.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I am thinking ... I feel like what do you want me to do? I am not there in class when this is happeneing and by both accounts (DS and teacher) he has mastered the current material (and at times the 'ahead' material as well)... I know it must be frustrating for her but at the same time what does she want me to do? Start enacting consequences for doing math work and wanting to learn more and be challeneged? Seriously? DS has a solution - he thinks the class needs to be broken down into groups so that those he get the material pretty quickly don't need to wait for those that need and benefit from more time/reptition/instruction etc. I have no idea what shoudl be done but I am not 'disciplining' my kid for wanting to learn and being halfway decent at math. She's just going to have to work something else out... And I do not envy her. DS can be a bit exhausting.... I can only imagine if you have 18 of them at different levels that you have to teach!