HappilyMom--

Actually we didn't have to tell school--school told us they thought there was a problem and then we got the eval (first of many) and shared it with them. This works great if you have supportive teachers, etc.; OTOH if they are trying to stick a label on your kid so they can 'counsel them out' for the next year, it's pretty awful. Plus then applying to any other school becomes problematic if you have a very negatively-worded evaluation. I guess I would follow the 'need to know' rule there, too--if they bring up certain behaviors in teacher/parent meetings, I would start to discuss it. Or if you're trying to get the school to do more/different stuff for him. It sounds like you're not asking that yet, so maybe it's better for now to wait and see, and try to figure out what your options might be for his academic and behavioral differences if they start to need accommodations. There have been lots of discussions on here about how difficult it can be to get accommodations from a school and how long it can take. Of course most people don't get to choose when to discuss it with the school, so you are in an unusual position.

I'm glad the Dr at Amen was so supportive with your son. It has taken us awhile to figure out how to talk to DD about her issues, but I think we're all comfortable with it now. And DD is doing great in her current school, so I guess we have another six months of enjoying things before we have to get ready to apply to the next school (her current one only goes through 6th grade).

Last edited by Dbat; 02/26/13 08:52 AM. Reason: clarification