While searching for reasons for my mother's severe complications from surgery that left her with severe brain damage, I read about anesthesia awareness. I also saw people talking about their experiences with this on a tv show recently. I will talk to the anesthesiologist about this before my son as any kind of surgery. This is why the anesthesiologist needs to know about his medical conditions so this can be avoided.

The geneticist thinks my mother's complications had more to do with her sleep apnea and the fact that they did not monitor her oxygen levels closely enough during and after surgery. My dad and sister both said some kind of alarms kept going off but they thought maybe the nurses just assumed there was something wrong with the equipment because they would not do anything. My son doesn't have sleep apnea so we shouldn't have to worry about that. He will not be having the surgery at the hospital my mother went to. We have heard a lot of horror stories about that hospital since that happened to my mother.

My son likes to watch the news and we started seeing an ad looking for people who had problems with spinal fusion surgery to call some law office.

This is so hard.