I would walk away at this point (actually I would probably not take my ds out of school, but that's not the question you've asked). The reason, in your shoes, that I would walk away is that I don't see any benefit in explaining yourself to the school at this point. It sounds like you've done that (many times over) already, so chances are the school staff will know why you're leaving. Even if this situation is 100% clear as day that the school staff is somehow at fault, one parent/family attempting to educate is not likely to make a difference.

If you weigh the upside vs negatives of explaining to the school, and feel compelled to explain in the hope that you can foster change - honestly I feel the best way to do that is going to be to step aside, wait until you've let go of the frustrations of your immediate situation, and then reach out and find other families who've been similarly impacted who also wish to see a change. As one family, in this situation, it's going to be easy for the school to ignore what you have to say, particularly as a family that has been in a contentious situation with the school. As a group of families, approaching the school without an urgent personal agenda that is coming out of frustration, you have a better chance of making a difference.

I would also want to focus my energy on my ds at this time, not waste any of it lashing out at a school you've had difficulties with. I am not saying you'd literally lash out (I'm assuming you'd be PC in talking with the school), but it seems you are very frustrated reading your posts (saying the school is ignorant etc). I've found that there are very few clearly 100% situations in life - while the school may not be sensitive to the quirks of gifted children, they also most likely have some valuable insight into the minds of 13 year old children. You, the parent, are the expert on your child, but that doesn't mean the school staff is ignorant. I would also take a good look at what your ds' situation at the school was like last year, before he was dealing with the emotional issues he's faced with this year. Was he challenged or bored? Was he happy there? Did you have an ok relationship with the teachers then? If all was good previously, I would consider that what you're running into might not be entirely an issue of school staff not understanding the needs of gifted (or other) children, but instead might be that you've discovered a wall that many families run into when advocating for children with special needs.

I've got to run - I'm sorry I might not have explained myself well in that last paragraph... please know I'm not unsympathetic, I hope that taking your ds out to homeschool works well for him. I definitely feel for his losses, and 13 isn't an easy age for any child.

polarbear