Originally Posted by master of none
I'd start with the school's side and slowly work with your DS to communicate with them and take some responsibility. Get him to own his performance--not easy with a kid that age, but necessary for the future. I would not pull him out unless you fully understand the problem and are sure that underachievement will improve.

We have been taking the schools side for most of this school year. In that time, our son was evaluated by a professional who specializes in gifted children. He has been fully evaluated and we know full-well that he is a visual-spatial learner. Several weeks ago, the school was made aware of the findings of DS's evaluation and given the suggestions for visual-spatial accommodations, but nothing has been done. His teachers have not even been informed of these accommodations. The professional who did the evaluation has tried for two weeks to set up a phone conference with the principal, but the principal won't contact her.

Also, I was a public school teacher for several years, I know how this should work if the child's best interests were the priority.