Thanks for the replies everyone. We actually didn't request the testing at all, and didn't know it was going to happen until a few days before. The school ordered the tests for gifted evaluation, which of course we wanted, so we were happy for the test. They'd already been letting him accelerate in all individual subjects, but needed to certify giftedness to allow a whole grade acceleration, so his homeroom (currently 1st grade) could catch up with all the individual subjects (currently 2nd-4th grade). This is a virtual school, so the logistics of acceleration are much simpler than in a B&M school, but they can always say no, so the test results should ensure they are favorable to acceleration.

Now that we (partially) see the test results, we're certainly curious what the results mean. We're definitely going to try to request the full details from the school, but that could take weeks as they have to get the reports from the testers first. We don't understand why we weren't simply given all the results, and maybe it's going to be a struggle to get hold of that information.

We were surprised the IQ came out as low as it did, (low 130's, barely enough to qualify as gifted), given our son's obvious aptitude for mathematics. The variation among test results has some consistency with what we've observed. He is stronger mathematically than verbally. He does have a good memory, but is sometimes quite slow at some tasks (though I suspect some of the slowness is voluntary). His comprehension is sometimes very good and sometimes not, so a poor performance on a particular comprehension test is plausible, though unlucky. It never occurred to us to consider an "LD", and we would be wary of entering into any kind of evaluation that had the potential of misdiagnosis. We're more inclined to think in terms of relative strengths and weaknesses. We want to understand what the tests may imply but don't want to read too much into them. The PSI score is pretty bad, but who knows what was going on in that part of the test.

Thanks for the calculations, Dottie. So would the sum of scaled scores for WMI 146 be 36? And would the sum of scaled scores for PRI 133-137 be in the range 46-48? (I'm guessing here based on various clues.)

The testers have now given us more details on the WJ-III (but won't for the WISC-IV), so these details are copied below if something can be gleaned from them. (Should I be giving all this detail?). The mathematics scores seem high, but obviously they have been boosted due to having the chance to move far ahead in the curriculum, and to teach himself more advanced things on the internet.

[removed]

Since I'm seeking insights on what all this means, I might as well throw in a few anecdotes for what their worth. Our son was an early reader ("self-taught" with the help of toys and PBS) reading longish words at about 2y9m. He was a late talker, with very minimal speech until suddenly bursting into full sentences at about 3y6m. His sleeping had zero correlation with the usual day-night cycle until about 5y6m.

So what does all this mean?

Any suggestions on plans for the future (e.g. accelerate in Mathematics/Science but not English/History)?

Thanks for any comments.