<nodding head>

I saw the same anger brewing in our DS6 that you all are describing, and that's why we pulled him out for homeschooling.

At the time, we didn't want to grade-skip because he likes to play sports and will definitely need the time for his coordination to catch up. I value the lessons that being not-bad but not a star in sports can teach a kid, I didn't want to have him miss out on that. (He's a perfectionist when it comes to sports, so a grade skip at this time would pretty much have ensured that he never played sports in school.)

But he's also well past what the schools are teaching and he's an "old soul," so keeping him in that age-level classroom was simply not an acceptable option for now. We wanted to be able to put him back at age-level (or close) in high school, when he can take more advanced coursework and even college courses for free. So for now, our "least-worst" option was obviously HSing.

Once I got him home and saw how fast he was picking things up, I understood why he was so angry and frustrated in first grade. He's making a lot more friends now than he made at public school, when he was unhappy and probably no fun to be around. (I had to call a limit on the number of kids he could invite to his birthday party this spring!) He's also got the time and energy for doing "kid stuff," whereas before we pulled him out, he was exhausted and miserable when he got home from school. He almost never wanted to play outside, and now he's outside more than he's inside. It's been very healthy for him.

I think a grade skip would have solved much of that problem for us, too, but at the time, for us, HSing seemed a better fit. I do know that we had to do something. What was happening to our bright, happy, fun kid was not acceptable. The light inside him was dying. It's back now.

FWIW...

Kriston