DS5 goes to a Montessori school. We suspect he is 2e and have an assessment with the Eides scheduled for the fall. The suspected issues could be any or several of the "dys-" variety or something else entirely.

The Montessori school is great for the gifted side. It is the other side that is a problem.

He has to do three assignments each work period. After that he has free time. If he can't finish in class, he can bring it home. So he has as much time as he needs to finish, that sounds good for a 2e kid right?

The trouble is that he avoids his work and struggles to finish when he starts.

Then he gets frustrated that everyone else is playing.

I know there are issues getting in the way. At home he will ask what "6" is when doing homework like 6+1. This is followed by asking which way the "7" goes. He knows his letters and numbers but when he tries to use them in math or reading or writing they are reversed or inverted. (Does this seem like pretty severe dyslexia, plain dyslexia or something else? I know we will find out but I am just curious about parent opinions)

Do you think he is being accommodated by getting plenty of time or punished because while his buddies are playing he is correcting all the g's he wrote backwards on his spelling test?

At what point do you tell a kid they might have to work harder and longer for the same result as their friends?